Mar 8, 2012

Anya: Living My Dream

Anya (middle) and two of her winning designs from Project Runway.

Anya Ayoung Chee. Who is she? Well... Let Me Tell You...


Anya Ayoung Chee
  is a 30 year old inspiration. Anya grew up in Trinidad and has made a name for herself in the fashion world. Why do I aspire to be like her? Because she has her own flaveur!! Her designs and collections are time and time again captivating and unique. And not only is she unique in the clothing that she makes, but also in the garments she wears as well. During her time on the TV Series Project Runway (Season 9), she stuck true to her style and wore pieces that truly screamed "ANYA!". The fabrics and textiles that she wore and chose to work with were very much Caribbean-esque. They are very colourful, flowing, and sexy.

I think what I like about her is that she is in a world of cruelty and fraud, and she is able to maintain true to herself and is a genuine and kind person. She is modest for a girl with such talent and beauty -- she learned to sew only a few months before being on Project Runway, and WON! Her ideas are remarkable and designs are modern and sexy.

After watching her express her passion for clothing and design, it made me think back to when I was little, designing and sewing outfits for my Ty Beanie Kids. I loved making them so much that I later on made clothing for myself, starting with the basic pajama pant design and working on from there, later making my own gymnastics leotards. A lot of my childhood interests have resurfaced in early adulthood, and are now influencing my choices for possible career paths.

Who knows... Maybe one day you will be wearing Jordana* Couture :). But until then, I will continue to dream, design, and experiment. And continue to look up to the little Caribbean girl making it big in the world of frills and makeup. Camera. Lights. Walk the catwalk!

1 comment:

  1. Dreams are the threads of reality :) You can do whatever you set your mind to!

    ReplyDelete